Head of School Search
January 16, 2018
We are pleased to announce that the search for a new Head of School has commenced.
We anticipate that a new Head of School will join us within the next 6 to 12 months.
In order for us to efficiently and effectively manage the search, and to ensure the confidentiality of the process for candidates, we ask that nominations be sent directly to our search consultant, Dr. Patrick G. Callaghan, President of HR Partners, Inc. at email@example.com. The Search Committee is fortunate to be supported by Dr. Callaghan, who will be taking the lead on all initial interviews with interested candidates.
All interested candidates must direct inquiries to Dr. Callaghan. Search Committee members will not engage in conversations and or accept applications from interested parties. Upon Dr. Callaghan’s review, candidates will be considered by the entire Search Committee.
We are excited to identify a candidate for appointment by our Board of Trustees. We are committed to providing you with ongoing communication. Updates will be posted to this page.
We are honored to have the privilege of ensuring that the next Head of School understands the philosophy of the Goals and Criteria and embodies those characteristics that are important to our community.
Mary Jo Dawson
Chair, Head of School Search Committee
Head of School Job Description
The Academy of the Sacred Heart, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan is seeking qualified candidates for the Head of School position. The Academy of the Sacred Heart is Michigan’s oldest independent school, offering a Catholic, college-preparatory education to girls (infant-Grade 12) and boys (infant-Grade 8) of many cultures and faiths. The Academy of the Sacred Heart is sponsored by the Society of the Sacred Heart and a member of the global Network of Sacred Heart Schools.
The Head of School is responsible for establishing and maintaining an educational environment in which the resources of the School are coordinated and directed in accordance with the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools, the philosophy of Sacred Heart education and the policies of the Board of Trustees. The Head of School is accountable to the Board of Trustees for the overall operation and direction of the School.
The Head of School oversees all aspects of the School, as more fully described in the detailed job description. However, the most critical roles and responsibilities are detailed below:
- Carry On the Mission. The Goals and Criteria provide the educational framework, national standards and inspiration for all that happens at the Academy. The Head of School represents and advocates for the Goals and Criteria in the ongoing education of its students.
- Drive a Leading Educational Experience. The Head of School implements forward-looking curricula, programs, and educational experiences to ensure Sacred Heart provides a leading education to its students.
- Market the School & Attract/Retain Students. The Head of School articulates the unique differentiators of a Sacred Heart education and effectively oversees marketing and admissions initiatives in a highly competitive educational environment.
- Manage a Fiscally Disciplined Administration. The Head of School manages the financial performance of the School to support its sustainability and its ability to reinvest in academic programs, faculty, and facilities.
- Solicit Charitable Donations / Fundraising. As an independent, non-parochial School, an important source of the School’s funding comes from charitable contributions. The Head of School maintains and cultivates relationships with existing and prospective donors in order to sustain the School’s annual and longer-term fundraising capabilities.
- Effectively Communicate with All Constituents. With a history of over 160 years in Southeast Michigan, the School has a deep connection with the community, evidenced most by its strong alumni and parent networks. The Head of School is an active and effective communicator in his/her capacity as the face of the School to the Sacred Heart constituency.
- Serve as the School’s Spiritual Leader. Inspired by the Academy’s foundress, St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, the School is committed to providing a faith-based learning environment grounded in Catholicism. The Head of School carries on the tradition of acting as the spiritual inspiration for the School community.
- Recruit, Develop, & Manage a Team. The Head of School attracts, develops, and retains the best and brightest faculty and front office administrative staff to handle the day-to-day operations of the School.
- Interface Effectively with the Board. The School has an active and engaged Board of Trustees, committed to its long-term success. The Head of School works collaboratively in developing long-term strategies with the Board and reports to the Board on the School’s performance relative to its short- and long-term strategies.
In order to successfully execute on the critical roles and responsibilities, the School is seeking candidates that have the following demonstrated qualifications and experiences:
- Master’s degree in education, business management, or humanities from an accredited university
- At least 10-15 years of professional experience, including 5+ years of senior leadership experience at an educational institution
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for 21st century learning and teaching methods
- Demonstrated experience in the skills necessary to effectively market the strengths of a school and its academic offerings
- Demonstrated experience in the business management skills necessary to develop strategic and annual plans and manage a financial budget
- Exceptional written and verbal skills for effective communication with various key audiences
- Demonstrated experience in building, coaching, and empowering effective teams and holding team members accountable for performance
- Demonstrated experience at a not-for-profit institution involved in building community relationships and driving fundraising activities
- Practicing Catholic
The Academy of the Sacred Heart is a an Equal Opportunity Employer.