Introduction to Robotics
This quarter class is an introductory class into the world of robotics. Robots in smart phones, smart cars, smart buildings, healthcare, defense, the internet, security systems, space and sea exploration, satellites, etc. In other words - EVERYWHERE!
This curriculum is designed to take new programmers and lead them step by step into the world of C-programming. ROBOTC gives the roboticist the largest amount of control of any language available to the VEX controller. ROBOTC uses an industry standard C programming language and is the language that most teachers should use in their classrooms. The programming training tool is divided into five sections: (The links are live and take you to the training site that we use in class.)
- Setup – In this section students will learn how to build their robot, what firmware is, and how to download the firmware.
- Fundamentals – In this section students will learn how to think about programming as well as the fundamentals of programming in ROBOTC.
- Movement – In this section students will begin to program their robots to solve the Labyrinth Robotics Engineering Challenge. They will learn how to control their robot’s direction and speed autonomously.
- Radio Control – In the radio control section students will learn how to map their radio control buttons and joysticks using the ROBOTC software to solve the Minefield Engineering Design Problem using radio control; they will also learn how timers work in ROBOTC.
- Sensing In the sensing section the students will learn how to use feedback from sensors to develop an autonomous program that will enable them to solve the Minefield Engineering Design Problem.