ASH First Independent School To Receive Michigan Green School Designation
The Academy of the Sacred Heart received official designation as a Michigan Green School in 2008, the program's inaugural year. In recognition of its environmentally-friendly activities, both within the school's facilities and in its curriculum, ASH was the first independent school to receive this designation.
ASH has maintained this designation for seven years, including reaching "Evergreen" status in every year it has been offered. Evergreen status indicates that a school has completed 20 out of the 20 environmentally-friendly and/or energy-saving activities recognized by the program. In fact, ASH exceeded these requirements!
Activities have included:
- Creation and expansion of the HEART Enrichment learning garden
- Home water audits as part of the Kensington Hall science curriculum
- Creation of an "outdoor chapel"
- Student-initiated conservation efforts in the Upper School
- Earth Day events
- Support of successful on-campus wildlife habitats
- Reduction of paper use
- Recycling efforts for paper products and electronics
- Ongoing use of energy management systems