St. Madeleine Sophie Barat founded the Society of the Sacred Heart more than 200 years ago. Her vision - to educate students in an environment attentive to the development of the whole person, preparing each child to assume leadership roles in professional, civic and academic careers - inspired the mission of Sacred Heart education as articulated in the Goals and Criteria.
In her lifetime, the Society of the Sacred Heart expanded across continents, becoming a truly international community. Today, the Academy of the Sacred Heart is part of the network of 25 Sacred Heart schools in the United States and Canada, and of a global community of Sacred Heart schools in 41 countries.
Linked philosophically and technologically, the network provides educational resources and collaborative opportunities for students and faculty. As a community, we believe the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education enable students to live lives of faith, intellectual excellence, responsibility to self and community and personal integrity. The Goals and Criteria provide the educational framework, national standards and inspiration for all that happens at the Academy.
- In the Goals and Criteria, the Society of the Sacred Heart defines the mission of the school as part of the Society's educational mission in the Catholic Church.
- Each school is accountable to the Society through the Sacred Heart Commission on Goals for adherence to the Goals and Criteria.
- Each school's Board of Trustees and Administration establish and uphold policies that are consistent with the Goals and Criteria.
- The school allocates its resources to support each Goal and its Criteria.
- The school is in compliance with professional standards as stated by accrediting agencies.